Flickr Badge

www.flickr.com
Rachel.Drummond's items tagged with badge More of Rachel Drummond's Photography at Flickr
Reload this web page for another set of photographs.

Friday, July 06, 2007

July Fifth Celebration



My birthday was the third. I took the kids bowling where Jasmine knocked down her first pin all by herself, to the arcade where we won tickets playing skeeball and then went to eat ice cream and sorbet. When Theo got home we had dinner at Olive Garden.

The fourth I hadn't planned on doing anything. Maybe we'd check out the big displays from the top of our hill. Rowan tearfully explained it wasn't any fun if we weren't blowing anything up. Kai was easy going about it, but voted for exploding things. Still, I wasn't sure; Jasmine has had near panic attacks from loud noises like crying babies, vacuum cleaners and me blowing my nose. I took Kai and Jasmine for a walk around the neighborhood and found out that she thought fireworks were the bomb. Flashing lights definitely outweighed any potential noise problems, she squealed, laughed and jumped around and learned new words "BOOM!" and "FIRE!" I told the kids I'd look for any fireworks tents still operating in the morning.

After getting Rowan's swollen finger x-rayed (it was a sprain) and checked Jasmine for a concussion (she didn't have one), Theo directed us to a tent by on the way home. Jackpot! They were open one more day and were selling everything "buy one get three free" except for the big packages and big explosives. To the children's joy, I went a little nuts and bought two shopping bags full of explosives. When he got home, Theo asked me to sign a confession that the fireworks were entirely my idea. I appended it to the confessional relating to my bad jokes and spontaneous singing of bad homemade lyrics to pop hit songs.

We spent dusk blowing things up. After an hour and a half, I was a bit worn out and we called it a night. We have a few left over, mostly snakes, sparklers and smoke bombs.

No comments: