Flickr Badge

www.flickr.com
Rachel.Drummond's items tagged with badge More of Rachel Drummond's Photography at Flickr
Reload this web page for another set of photographs.

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Campfire

Camping fascinates the younger set especially because you get to burn stuff. The best are things that explode, smoke and shrivel, or turn the flames strange colors. Cardboard boxes with colorful dyes have many of these qualities. At home we have a gas fireplace and that definitely doesn't capture the whole smoke in your eyes, your nose, your mouth and lingering in your clothes that a campfire provides. The kids have actually even started eating marshmallows, but I suspect the main motivation is to claim we need to keep the fire going.

This is when it started to get cold and the kids also found an unexpected benefit to burning things -- it keeps you warm. Our tent and sleeping bags were intended for much warmer weather -- I expect they were intended for camping where the low was the freezing point for water, not the high. I had four cheap sleeping bags and zipped two pairs together to make two queen-sized bags. Then I put one inside the other with four blankets between. We wore two layers of pajamas with a hoodie on top to keep our heads warm. Then we all got in the multi-layered bag together. This worked very well. I knew it was cold because the complaints of being smushed were minimal. Actually, the totality of complaints on the trip were near nonexistent, I was very impressed.

This was also the day when I realized that my idea of cooking for my children was a well-meaning but entirely unrealistic goal. I had a fire extinguisher all ready, but I still had some fundamental challenges to overcome:

  • I'm not fond of cooking (I think I've made a total of five complete meals in the last ten years).
  • Monitoring a three year-old near two seperate open flames is nerve wracking.
  • Preparing food generally means I don't have a burner available for making my coffee.
  • Picky eaters.
  • I'm an easily distracted person, which the cooking stove takes shameful advantage of.
  • No washing sinks available this time in the season.
  • I'm not fond of cooking.


So, our eating quickly changed to anything that could be made with one pot of hot water, the fresh and dried fruit we brought, animal crackers, marshmallows, bagels, cheerios and soy milk, pre-cooked bacon and hot dogs (the kids could cook these themselves with a stick), and soy butter and/or jelly sandwiches. Hm. Actually, this is exactly how I ate before I met my husband.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: