Flickr Badge

www.flickr.com
Rachel.Drummond's items tagged with badge More of Rachel Drummond's Photography at Flickr
Reload this web page for another set of photographs.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Pumpkins


This is my first attempt at creating a stencil and then carving it. I used a pic of a big lubber we found in a nearby open space, printed it on an 8.5" x 11" paper, traced the main elements using my light box, then altered some blocks as I was actually carving. I think the antenna needed some greater width, but overall I was happy with the result. It really didn't show up well until we had it outside in the dark and lit.




The rest of the pumpkins got stencils that we downloaded from free places on the web. The boys agreed Jasmine should have this Banshee design. I didn't inquire into their choice.



Pirate Skull for Kai.



Classic skull for Rowan.



This year they did a great job pulling out the pumpkin guts. Kai was still a little squeemish, Rowan was pretty gung ho and Jasmine just wanted to taste them. The boys poked the stencil designs into the pumpkins and then I carved them. Kai REALLY wanted to use my little pumpkin jigsaw, but I was worried about broken blades. I'd broken about five of them just getting the hang of it the year I first got it. Next year though, I think I'll buy some extra blades and let them carve out the tops.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Matt Dick said...

super, duper cool

ucnboic

Hypatia said...

Thanks! I love pumpkins and carving things. Flame, knives, artistic expression, I guess it's not that hard to see why I like it. :O)