Flickr Badge

www.flickr.com
Rachel.Drummond's items tagged with badge More of Rachel Drummond's Photography at Flickr
Reload this web page for another set of photographs.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Li Mei's Thought Bubble:
Okay, This is Strange

 
This is actually me, Rachel writing. Yeah, I know, how weird, usually I ask my husband to write my blog. ;)

Have you recently gotten a visa or passport picture? If so, you know government officials are really picky about how wide open your eyes are and that you aren't smiling and how big the photographer has cropped your head.

So we pay someone for Li Mei's picture but then it's refused. When we go in to the police department photo place for a new picture we're refused again because the color of her clothes doesn't contrast enough with her features.

We go to the closest supermarket / Meet All and buy a red towel. When we get back, the chain smoking photographer shines three or four strong lights at her but then no one can get her to open her eyes.

By "no one" I mean any of the fifteen other people standing in the photographing studio waiting for their picture to be taken. The room is all of seven feet wide and fifteen feet long. Ten feet of the length for the lights, chair and backdrop, five for all the people. Three feet of the width is taken up by the photographer's equipment and computers.

It's not working. Schell asks if I have my camera. That's like asking if I brought my elbows. We go out into the spacious, empty, well-ventilated and dimly lit waiting room and I take some pictures. (I love the high ISO on my Digital Canon.) A bit of cropping removing Theo's shirt in the background and one of my pictures is on Li Mei's Chinese Passport. Posted by Picasa

No comments: